- Category: Ipra Community
- Published: Saturday, 26 November 2011 09:40
- Hits: 1270
WHY JOIN IPRA
Peace researchers join because IPRA is the largest and most established global professional organisation in the field of peace research, a field that is addressed from a wide range of interdisciplinary and multi-disciplinary perspectives.
The IPRA Statute in its Article 6 states that: “IPRA shall be composed of three classes of members: individual scholars, scientific institutions and scientific associations, able to accept membership of the Association. IPRA may also have contribution members. Applications will be considered by the Executive Committee.”
Based on this article, individual scholars, scientific institutions and scientific associations can become members of IPRA. IPRA is open to peace researchers, scientific institutions and scientific associations with membership fee.
Membership in IPRA offers online and offline opportunities for building strong collaborative and supportive networks among those who are making contributions to the ever growing field of peace research around the world.
IPRA members promote and defend the interests of the professional community of peace researchers all over the world in terms of freedom of academic thought and expression, and career development.
IPRA hosts conferences and collaborates with the UN Economic and Social Council and UNESCO and others in the promotion of peace research all over the world
IPRA cooperates in the publication of the International Journal of Peace Studies, Journal of Peace Education and books with top publishers
IPRA holds an international conference every two years; it has held 25 conferences in different parts of the world since its foundation in 1964 with the 25th one held in Istanbul Turkey in August 2014, The last three IPRA conferences were held in Japan, Australia and Belgium in 2008, 2010 and 2012, respectively. The next IPRA Conference(the 26th) will be held in Freetown, Sierra Leone between November 28 and December 1 2016.
The IPRA web site provides information on the Association’s activities, including the activities of its regional associations and thematic commissions. The member-only section of the site provides additional information and opportunities for networking and participation. IPRA is working on soon launching an IPRA public announcement and members-only email lists where information about academic jobs, conference and publications etc. would be shared. IPRA members also have the opportunity to share information on jobs, call for papers, events and scholarly ideas etc. on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter on the IPRA web site.
IPRA is growing and improving what is on offer to members. New services are being developed that will make IPRA an increasingly valuable way of extending your academic, research and friendship networks and finding information and people.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
Among the benefits reserved exclusively for IPRA members are:
- The voting rights and decision taking (for the IPRA Council, Secretary General and other issues) at the General Assembly during the IPRA General Conference,
- Free monthly e-newsletter,
- Online access to abstracts and papers and presentations from IPRA conferences
- Membership in any of IPRA commissions and working groups
- Access to a searchable online database of members that allows you to find colleagues and to access other members’ profiles, including research interests and contact information
- Significant discounts on International Journal of Peace Studies and Journal of Peace Education
- Opportunities to participate in the organization and development of the IPRA
- Discount on IPRA conference registration
- Opportunities to compete for grants for the IPRA General Conferences,
- Promote your books on the IPRA webpage and in IPRA e-newsletter,
- Announce your events, and post a call for papers, job openings, awards in IPRA e-newsletter and IPRA groups